Saturday, July 24, 2010

We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto

I had one of those 'the future is already here' moments today.

Today was laptop update day. I now run a MacBook Pro - the 2.66 Ghz model for the curious - retiring my old iBook G4. It's been a few years since I upgraded: I have to say it's much easier these days.

As recommended by the intro video on my new Mac, I plugged it into my old Mac using 'blue string' (an ethernet cable) because I didn't have any firewire cables at home. Then I opened a utility that transfers all your information from one to the other. Then I read a book for a couple of hours.

That's it. When my new Mac restarted, all my software, permissions and files were on it. Procedural elegance is always a beautiful thing.

This is post 78 of 100 posts in 100 days.

No comments: