Thursday, September 23, 2010

Jetlag

The thing that amazes me about jetlag is that it is different every time you do long-haul travel. It's recognizably jetlag, but the experience is always a bit different.'This is a bad one, in spite of my hard won list of travel dos and don'ts. It's a bit like having a temporary brain-ectomy! Basically, I got cocky. Last time I travelled I went to work the same morning I came home much to my colleagues' surprise. This time I assumed I would be ok the next day and I wasn't. Oops.

We all make the mistake of treating our bodies like a machine, and expecting it to behave identically every time. It doesn't and it's quite zany to expect it to (not to mention futile). Short of invasive medical procedures, there can't be anything more unnatural than sitting in a too small seat in a large tin can being propelled at unendurable speed through the upper atmosphere that would freeze us and doesn't contain enough oxygen to sustain life. We do this while sitting still for about 24 hours of a 30 hour period, with 700+ sneezing and expectorating companions. We pass through about 10 time zones and invert the pattern of day and night. We eat too much snap frozen fatty food, don't drink enough water and watch WAY too much small screen entertainment. Then we wonder why we feel a bit seedy and below par for the next few days.

Isn't it astounding how quickly the previously impossible becomes the mundane?

This is post 1 of the challenge-free challenge.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: