Saturday, September 11, 2010

Nine years ago

Nine years ago I headed off to teach Kindermusik classes (it was a Wednesday) and was shocked to hear about the terrorist attacks on New York and Washington. My concern was personal as well as generally humanitarian: I number several Americans among my friends.

Four years later, I landed at Heathrow from a conference in the USA, and was warned not to go to London as various stations had been blown up.

The world I grew up in was o e in which such atrocities existed only on the news or in the history books. Tonight a young person I know made an off the cuff remark that there is too much fuss being made of 911, which has "nothing to do with us". I recall when I was a teen, adults would bang on about where they were when Kennedy was assassinated - we used to be as disinterested as my young friend is today.

Nine years ago, the world changed. It does everyday of course, but sometimes the changes are immediately recogniseable.

This is post 16 of 365 posts in 365 days.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: