Monday, May 25, 2009

The Tonka Truck Theory of Parenting

I developed this theory many years ago, before I began regularly working with families.  No matter how hard a parent tries, they're bound to get something wrong. It's inevitable, and that can be, kind of, OK.

Nothing I have learned since has disproved it.
 
When you were a child, you wanted a Tonka Truck.  
    But for some reason your parents never bought you a Tonka Truck.  
         So now you are a parent, and whatever else your child may or may not have, 
              you will buy her a Tonka Truck.

But your child does not want a Tonka Truck.
Your child wants a rocking horse.
But for some reason you have never bought your child a rocking horse.
So now your child is an adult, and whatever else her child may or may not have,
She will buy her child a rocking horse.

But her child does not want a rocking horse.
    Her child wants a puppy.  
        But for some reason he has never bought his child a puppy.  
             So now his child is an adult, and whatever else his child may or may not have,
                 He will buy his child a puppy.

But his child does not want a puppy.
His child wants a Tonka Truck.

So there it is, my contribution to the social sciences.  By all means pass it on, but remember to say where you heard it:  I'd quite like it to go down to history as Spencer's Theory.

1 comment:

spyder said...

There is an inherent truth to the Spencer theory.
I have addressed it by:
a) recognising and accomodating that my child may not be interested in the toys/ hobbies I hankered for when I was a child. It helps that he's a boy, so there are all the external gender stereo types that help me accept he's probably never going to dig craft.
It still kinda pisses me off on a gut level, but it's my job to get over it.
b) by the goddam toy I wanted and play with it. So if anyone sees a Hansa candle making kit (I've been searching for years) let me know.