Thursday, September 30, 2010

Unplugged rules

After several years with a digital piano (in an upstairs apartment), I have at last returned to my unplugged acoustic roots with a real - wood & wire - piano.

Bliss!

Mr O claims it 'talks back to you' in a way the digital never did or could. I agree that the right piano responds in subtle ways that makes playing a completely different experience. The sound is totally different (I hope the neighbors enjoy it too), generated from steel wires and wood keys rather than a computer chip and a transistor.

We make music for the joy of the experience. The 'wrong' instrument discourages joy and keeps your attention on the mechanics of playing. Its the quality of driver experience that sells cars, even though it is so hard to define. The right instrument may be as personal a choice as the right car or the right life partner. In each case it's wonderful when you find the right one.

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: