Friday, January 28, 2011

Future proof?

I've heard the term 'future proof' once too often. It's a bit like foolproof: it's almost impossible because they are always building better fools. And different futures.

It's hubris on a huge scale, this claiming to utterly predict the future. Even the best Futurists only get bits of it right. And usually not in the way they expected.

The best way to 'future proof' yourself is to be ready to be surprised. By all means track trends and back your hunches, I'm not saying don't get insurance or don't plan for the future, just don't commit your entire soul, your whole future happiness to one particular future. Stay awake, and always maintain a possible doubt.

Here in Australia we were hearing a lot about drought and climate change until the recent floods. Now I read in the paper it's El Nina(?) and it's going to be wet for up to twenty years. Although only 43, I've already lived long enough to recall the utter conviction of many experts and lay people alike that we were entering a new ice age. So I'm a bit skeptical in general, rather than in a specific climate direction

The only thing less useful than pompous self-righteous conviction in a possibly inaccurate future is the pompous self-righteous gloating of people with an alternate possibly inaccurate future when the facts temporarily run toasted their goal posts.

I know that many astrologers are supposed to make their predictions up, but at least they're usually entertaining about it. And succinct, if vague, because of strict allocation of column inches.

I don't know what the future holds. I didn't ever imagine I would have a device like an iPhone (or that I would love it so much). I didn't envisage my career path unfolding as it has. I didn't imagine getting married, let alone staying that way through twenty years. And I'm glad I didn't know about the bad stuff, about which there's little or nothing I could have done.

Good luck with your future, whatever it turns out to be.

This is post 17 of 43 posts.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: