Sunday, January 16, 2011

Good bread

Is there anything in the world nicer to eat than good bread? I'm a bit of a chocaholic, yet given a choice between never eating bread again and never eating chocolate again, the bread would win. No contest.

(The bread I'm currently enjoying is Phillipa's bread, if you're a Melbourne local and can get it.)

Do we overvalue chocolate because it is a luxury? Because it has the glamour of forbidden fruit? Yet in the 21st century it can be harder to find a reliable source of good bread than a reliable source good of chocolate.

That's probably a good metaphor for other aspects of our consumer culture, don't you think?

This is post 4 of 34 posts.
Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would advise you never to move to Hong Kong. The bread is awful. Kind of sweet, like a fast-food hamburger bun. And it comes in packs of four slices with the crusts already cut off. I guess that's what you get for living in a country where the locals just don't eat bread.

Forget about the sandwiches they try to make too. The best ones available to buy are refrigerated ones from Starbucks. If that gives you any idea.

In my memory bread also has the same taste in the parts of Africa I've been to. Bleurgh.