Wednesday, March 9, 2011

iPad reviewers annoy me

I've been researching user reviews of iPads. I'm finding it quite annoying.

The so-called test drives are by tech-geek experts who fiddle around with a unit for a couple of days or a week, decide its not like their current top-of-the-line setup, and that it doesn't work the way their other appliances do.  They conclude - much to their surprise - that they evaluate exactly as they had predicted they would evaluate it when they were trying to suss out what it would be from the pre-release rumours.  As a gadget that (wait for it folks) is not an actual stand-alone laptop. Amazing.

Even more annoying are the many doom-sayers who feel that because the iPad is such a fabulous personal unit - it is therefore likely to be a distraction in a business meeting. Apparently people might not use it to take meaningful notes. They might misuse it to while away their boredom.

I take it these doom-sayers have never played hangman or noughts and crosses in a boring meeting, or doodled libelous caricatures of their boss, or even written notes for their next university essay or shopping list. All of which one can do with a piece of paper and a pencil, under cover of the desk or one's appointment diary.

The need evaluations are very simplistic - they all focus on one scenario: is it a replacement computer.  Some say yes, nearly. Some say no way. Hardly anyone writes about it in terms of what it can do, and more of the ways people might find to use it who aren't tech-geeks. I find it akin to saying that the new Bugatti Veyron sn't really any different to or better than a Landcruiser and besides it doesn't have a door in the back where you can put your shopping (which the landcruiser does).  I don't want a Bugatti Veyron, but then I couldn't tell one way or another from a review like that.

None of the tech writers guessed I'd use my iPhone to keep track of where I parked my car in those big malls either. I guess I'm just going to have to buy an iPad, and work it out for myself.

1 comment:

roe said...

There is a fantasic disabled teacher at my school, who has just got an ipad, and it is making a huge difference to her. She can't hold a pen, but can draw & write using the touch sensitive ipad and run it through to a data projector. It also holds files for teaching. Cheaper than a lot of other access equipment, and so very usable for her!