Saturday, March 26, 2011

Surprise gifts

One of the pleasures of online ordered books is their variable delivery. It's like waiting for Christmas or a birthday when you were a small child, asking, 'Is it today?'

It's also one of the few times we get something in the mail that isn't either a bill or some other request for money. We've more or less forgotten paying for the books, which was a few clicks of the mouse rather than handing over tangible cash. These two facts together make it feel even more like a gift.

If we've been working hard, and are psychologically inclined, the books will feel the same way a reward does. We may be feeling unappreciated and overworked, but then these gifts arrive - and so perfectly chosen to suit our interest and tastes. We have become our own fairy godparents.

2 comments:

roe said...

I have been known to exclaim "the internet loves me! It sent me presents". Whereas JB says that I worship the internet and sacrifice money to it, and in return it rewards my faith.

opinionatedchildlesswoman said...

So the internet is creating a cargo cult?! I like it!