Friday, June 4, 2010

10 good things about winter


Winter: it's just too damn cold!
  1. But it does take pudding from an indulgence to a near-necessity and a glass of port and a mug of hot chocolate don't go astray either.
  2. Now that it's dark by 5.30, it doesn't seem so bad to be settled by the fire with a bowl of lamb stew by 6.30, and bed at 9.30 is merely practical as it means we can turn the heating down.
  3. I love the mystery of a foggy morning.
  4. I love the brilliance of the stars in the night sky. Banjo Patterson was right: the white stars fairly blaze at midnight in a cold and frosty sky. It's worth being half frozen to see them - they're so bright they're worth looking at even from the suburbs.
  5. I love sitting inside and listening to the rain falling on the roof. Even better if I'm enjoying crumpets and good book.
  6. I love walking in the cold holding a cup of coffee to keep my fingers warm.
  7. I love lying in bed and hearing the heater come on and knowing that means I still have 15 minutes of snooze time.
  8. I love the BBC dramas the ABC serves up on Friday or Saturday or Sunday nights.
  9. I love bright woolly hats and scarves.
  10. I love thinking about heading off somewhere warm for a holiday!
So there you have it, 10 bright sides to the cold.

This is post 30 of 100 posts.

1 comment:

roe said...

Love hats & scarves! Got a lovely blue & grey scarf in Myers for this winter