Tuesday, June 1, 2010

5 things I'm feeling opinionated about..(2)

  1. When you send someone an email, always include a short greeting. Think of it as a virtual 'With Compliments' slip. An email with only a subject line and an attachment says that you view the recipient as a machine. This may be the case, but you ought to pretend otherwise.
  2. If you're going to the effort of baking a cake, and you have even a bit of freezer space, consider baking two. It saves time, it saves power and you have extra cake. Freeze it in slices and you'll thank yourself the next time you need a pick-me-up.
  3. Sometimes the kindest thing you can tell someone is, "No, I'm not interested. And no, I'm not going to change my mind."
  4. If you can't explain something in terms simple enough for a reasonably intelligent ten year old, you probably can't explain it simply enough for the rest of us either. It makes me wonder if you really understand it yourself.
  5. Don't be afraid to use vivid analogies or metaphors when you need to get someone's attention. Which is more memorable: 'I think you're accidentally reinforcing their behaviour', or 'if they were dogs, you'd be teaching them to pee on the floor'?

This is post 27 of 100 posts in 100 days.

No comments: