Thursday, July 29, 2010

Grace

Graceful people always inspire me with a little awe: dancers, athletes, felines, seals, falsons.

What they each have in common is a centred physical presence, where movement is perfectly aligned with their intention. At the same time they are totally present in now - experiencing what Mickhael Czichentmihayli calls 'flow'.

People who perform repetitive - automatic - tasks intelligently for work have it too. Good cooks, carpenters, baristas and hotel housekeepers have it.

Yet quite young children have this quality too, at least some of the time. It can be harder to notice in bodies that are stubby rather than streamlined. A child dancing, or drawing or zooming a car, or riding a bike has grace.

It's a quality to watch for, for the sheer pleasure of seeing it, recognizing it, and admiring it. It's uplifting when you do so, which is itself another kind of grace.

This is post 81 of 100 posts in 100 days.
Sent from my iPhone

2 comments:

Quatrefoil said...

I just wanted to let you know that I've been reading your blog in chunks, including a huge catch up today, and I've been thoroughly enjoying it. Your posts are making me think and challenging a lot of my views. So, will you continue to write when your 100 days are up?

opinionatedchildlesswoman said...

Thanks for your comment! I will continue to post. After I complete the 100 days challenge, I plan to do a 365 day challenge. So stay tuned!