Saturday, May 15, 2010

Enjoy!

As I type this I'm sitting beside my fire on a cool autumn night. (Note to self: get drapes made and hung.)

I'm enjoying the warmth of the fire, the comfort of my chair, my belly full of food, and the knowledge that bed is not far away.

It's easy to dismiss simple comforts and pleasures, and I don't really know why that is, when they're so precious as a source of enjoyment - literally things that make us joyful. We put our thoughts and our attention into the future or the past, we don't even notice now and that's a shame.

A hot shower, even when only 3 minutes, is a delightful thing. A toilet that flushes. Warmth when we're cold. Cool when we're hot. Food when we're hungry. Drinking water that doesn't make you sick, and doesn't have to be fetched. Sleep in a safe place (let alone a comfortable bed) when we're tired. These would have been the pinnacle of aspiration for the majority of humans, for most of recorded history and continue to be a dream for millions today (Note to self: make another KIVA donation.).

Today I've enjoyed the company of interesting and articulate people, I've done work I am passionately motivated to do, I've eaten three meals (and a couple of chocolate biscuits too). I've hugged my husband, and I've made music. Suddenly my utter failure to become rich, famous and powerful seem a matter of indifference.

And now I'm about to watch a DVD, then go to bed. I wish you joy, wherever you are as you read this.

This is post 10 of 100 posts in 100 days.

No comments: