Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's amazing what you can google

It's amazing what you can google.

I'm doing some research into the early history of Melbourne. I've found several members of the family I'm interested in, thanks to Trove, which has digitized versions of The Argus, the paper of record in early Melbourne (although it closed down in the 1950s).

This family are not prominent enough to appear in the official history, although why I am not sure. They seem to be related to or in business with most of the names who do appear in the official history. Which leads me to wonder about the nature of history itself...

Even though they're not in the books, with enough patience, and a quirky approach to word association, you can find out more than you'd expect without leaving the comfort of your adsl-enabled home.

This is post 39 of 43 posts.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Wow, thanks for introduction to Trove! Already found articles on William Valentine Robinson and will start looking for their kids. Interesting about road named Robinson, not sure if related. Years ago someone took a photo of the Robinson house, I think it had date 1872 on it, but not sure of house number or if still standing today. When I use google to see street I can see there are LOTS of houses on Callantina and Glenferrie roads. Yes, you are so right how much one can do from the internet. I get a kick out of your blog title as I am also an opinionated childless woman but on the other side of the world from you.