Saturday, February 12, 2011

A life changing beet

When most of us think of expanding our horizons and trying new things, we think of an overseas holiday in an exotic location, or a new career, or even a new haircut or colour.

We seldom consider a new vegetable. This is a pity.

Tonight I tried my hand at roasted beetroot. Boiled beetroot is great. I grew up with it in salads and sandwiches, but it is very hard on clothes if you are slightly clumsy, as I am. For this reason I haven't eaten it in years. I recently read about roasting beetroot, and so I gave it a go.

What a revelation! Delicious & easy to prpeare. Sweet but somehow earthy. It went well with the roast parsnips and carrots. It's a beautiful colour. It's inexpensive. It's probably even good for me too.

For many of us, cooking something new is more likely to challenge our personal status quo than a holiday in the kind of exotic location where we can speak English all day long by the pool and get a familiar meal in the restaurant that night.

Whereas my beetroot was life changing. Food for thought.

This is post 32 of 43 posts.
Sent from my iPhone

No comments: