Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Is this the end of the shiny nose?

Another product review. Good work deserves encouragement.

I don't like foundation makeup. I like what it does - when it works - but I don't like how it smells, how it feels on my skin, how it rubs off on my clothes, or the breakouts I get when I use it.

But - and its a big but - I also don't like having a shiny nose (well, a shiny t-zone since I'm being confessional.) My Scottish ancestry is evident in my pale and sensitive skin, which goes red whenever I encounter an environmental poison - like sunlight, cigarette smoke, alcohol, coffee, sugar, perfume… you get the idea. Vanity, thy name is opinionatedchildlesswoman.

Now I've found a foundation that works on the shiny/red part, without the usual negatives of foundation. It's called Matte Morphose by L'Oreal. (I bought a small tub for AUD 30 at Priceline.)

It has a mousse texture, and you only use the merest dab of the stuff as it spreads a long way. I do mean a dab, and not a wodge too - I ususally just tap the surface of the stuff with my middle digit and apply that much until I run out. 3-4 taps does as much of my face as required.  Its texture is creamy without being oily. Once it's on, I can't feel it. When I touch my face, the skin feels like smooth skin, not like pancake. It doesn't have enough smell to mention.

It lasts and lasts, without clagging up my pores. I haven't had a breakout as a result. Yet it does cover in the illusionistic way I like. At first you can see where you've applied it, but within a few minutes it seems to disappear. I don't look like I'm wearing makeup until I use a wipe to take it off, and then I notice that it was evening out my skin tone. Mr O, who can't understand why women think they look better with "that stuff" on their faces, quite approves of this one because he doesn't notice I'm wearing it, he just thinks I look especially nice today.

I've worn it all day without my face beginning to itch - which is a first. This foundation is even making me vainer. Now that I know I can get rid of the shiny/red, I tend to wear it more often than in the past. Or maybe that's just part of being in my early 40s? (My 30s was when not wearing lipstick prompted colleagues - especially male colleagues - to ask, "Are you feeling ok today? You don't look well.")

I think this IS the end of the shiny nose.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

hey I must try that. I also have found foundation makeup to be highly irritating. Makes me want scratch my face off. So I don't wear it and do collect the odd comment on my "stance" about not wearing makeup.

opinionatedchildlesswoman said...

I don't guarantee it's suitable to all sensitive skins, just mine. I tried a few of the mineral makeups - online reviewers raved about how they were weightless and non-irritating. I found them VERY irritating, so much so I washed them off within about 30 minutes. I also felt they emphasised any incipient 'fine lines' in my face. Matte Morphose doesn't. Many pharmacies have sample pots so you don't even have to fork out cash for a single try. That's what convinced me.

Now I just have to find a mascara that doesn't make my eyes water.

mm said...

Try Ere Perez mascara, it's made with almond oil. I found it quite innocuous. I seldom wear mascara but am quite sensitive, so this came as a nice surprise.
I found the Guerlain range had mascaras that did not irritate me either, so maybe that might be worth trying too.

opinionatedchildlesswoman said...

Thanks for the suggestion, mm. I will look out for the mascaras you recommend.